11 January 2010

Adultery- An Overrated Sin

Met my doctor this morning for my weekly stem cells injection.We got talking about the latest issue in Malaysia i.e. the use of "Allah" in the Christian Herald. In my view, this issue will be settled but not without bruised feelings on both sides of the debate. At the end, I predict that the Federal Court (the court of final appeal in Malaysia) will allow the appeal and decide in favour of the Government's case.

Today's blog is not about the issue. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a view and you can read it in all media. My view is that this has been overblown. In fact, I am ashamed that such could be an issue in a country priding itself as a tolerant nation. It takes two to clap and both parties have behaved like children over a matter of "principle". People forget that these "matters of principles" have dragged nations to war.

Today, I am going to talk about adultery as an overrated sin. This stemmed from my discussion with my doctor about our politicians and their moral hypocrisy on the whole controversy over who has the right to use "Allah" to refer to God. I was talking about the former Minister  who was caught having sex on video with his girlfriend. He was a fine and able minister but was forced to resign due to public pressure egged on by self-appointed moral guardians. We have lost a fine man.

In golf, we won't see the perfection that is Tiger Woods this season as he decides to lie low because of his scandal. We have lost a fine athlete and a great golfer.

To me, adultery is a private act. The three parties i.e. husband, wife and third party/parties have to resolve it themselves. Any party can be adulterous i.e. husband or the wife. The political correctness brigade wants to make every adultery by public figures a public affair. To me an adulterous golfer or a minister does not make him a lesser golfer or a minister. The same brigade will always say that public figures have a duty to behave because they are role models.

Live is short enough. People each have reasons to act the way the act. Adultery is certainly overrated as a reason for someone to resign from whatever he/she is good at. They can still be role models for what they are good at and being adulterous does not mean they should not continue doing what they are good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment