13 January 2010

Health - An Underrated Virtue

My kids think I am ancient at 40+. My wife says that my body is like a 60 years old's. I used to eat, drink and be merry and "moderation" was just a word to elicit the consternation of my dear friend, the late Pritha Lucas.

It was only now that I am taking my health seriously but most of the damage has been done. I have all sorts of medical ailments brought about by bad lifestyle choices. I have discovered that being ill, stuck in a hospital is lonely. And no matter how supportive other people are, I am the only one who bears the illness.  My loved ones can only watch as bystanders (and endure the heartbreak) as I struggle in pain.

The K2 trip was an attempt to break this cycle. I know that messing up halfway up or down the trek will be a major event. The trip sort of forces me to get my physical fitness back in shape.I have since end of November lost about 8 kilograms with just better diet and physical activities, and no diet pills or supplement  powders. It is not too late despite lifestyle illnesses catching up. I feel stronger and more alert.

I know its trite that wealth without health is no good. I have learnt that 'letting go' of my health  when I started working and raising a family was plain stupid of me. Nevertheless, its better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment